This department provides services for
students with special needs.
THE BOARD'S STATEMENT OF BELIEFS AND PRINCIPLES
REGARDING SPECIAL EDUCATION
The commitment of the Board to the beliefs in the Mission Statement and Principles and Values Statement is expressed by the manner in which exceptional students and students with special needs are welcomed and provided for in our school communities. The Board, therefore, delegates to the Director, in consultation with the Special Education Advisory Committee, the responsibility for developing programs, regulations and procedures to promote:
- The rights of the learner to an inclusive educational program in the regular classroom program as the child's need for a differentiated program will permit. Integration will take precedence over segregation whenever possible taking into account the needs of the child and the parent's wishes.
- The education of each student is a shared responsibility between the classroom teacher and the program resource team and the child's parent/guardian. Through a collaborative partnership the classroom teacher will be supported in modifying and personalizing the curriculum for exceptional learners.
- Learners have the right to access a spectrum of special education programs and services to support their learning.
- When support staff are assigned to provide direct assistance to an exceptional learner, care must be taken to maintain focus on the ultimate goal of independence and autonomy.
- Since communities assist in raising children, the board maintains open and active partnerships with various local, regional and provincial agencies to access resources and promote a smooth transition to post-secondary education, work or living in the community.
ONTARIO SPECIAL NEEDS STRATEGY - INTEGRATED REHABILITATION SERVICES
Lisa Demers, Superintendent of Education
Jennifer Morrow, Principal - Special Education
Christine Preece, Mental Health Lead
Kim Wells, Administrative Assistant - Superintendent of Education
Phone: (519) 627-6762 or 1-866-336-6139 ext. 10227
Fax: (519) 627-8230
Mail: St. Clair Catholic District School Board c/o Special Education Department
420 Creek St. Wallaceburg, On N8A 4C4