- This year's grad 12 cohort a minimum of 20 hours of community service hours for graduation.
- In addition, the Ministry of Education is providing increased flexibility in how all secondary students can earn hours in 2020-21 and 2021-22, at the Principal’s discretion schools may allow students:
- to earn hours during the time allotted for the instructional program on a school day;
- to earn hours through duties normally performed at the home; and,
- to count up to a maximum of 10 hours of paid employment towards their earned hours (age 14+). Students counting paid employment towards their graduation requirement will be required to complete a reflection exercise indicating how their work contributed to service for others. *Note: the 10 paid hours that can be used towards your volunteer hours is for the duration of secondary school - you can only use 10 hours total over your 4 years).
Please see here for suggestions on how to take advantage of the above opportunities.
Community Involvement Activity Record Form
To print a copy of the form, CLICK HERE
IMPORTANT INFO. ABOUT YOUR 40 HOURS
Youth Advisory Council
The Sarnia Lambton Youth Advisory Council is restarting for this parliamentary session. The council will be composed of youth aged 16-21 who are passionate about making a change and becoming a leader in their community. The members of the board will have an opportunity to provide feedback and input on issues before parliament.
This opportunity is bipartisan, and all youth for the community are invited to apply to marilyn.gladu.C1A@parl.gc.ca by February 14, 2022.
Sarnia Sting Volunteer Opportunities 2021-2022
The Sarnia Sting is looking for a large number of volunteers for a wide variety of volunteer positions. Positions include: social media, promotions, merchandising, hockey operations, DJ, working with large groups and analytics. This is an an opportunity that for many will lead to paid employment. If you are interested in this opportunity, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 24.
Additionally, Sarnia Sting is looking for ushers. This is a great way to earn volunteer hours while watching the game!! If you are interested, please contact email@example.com ASAP.
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES (COVID-friendly) WEBINAR
Although finding volunteer opportunities during the pandemic has been hard, it isn't impossible!! On December 1, 2020 at 4:00 PM, MyBlueprint is hosting a webinar on COVID-friendly volunteer opportunities. The session will be hosted by Kate from the Youth and Philanthropy Initiative.
Please click here to register for the webinar.
Volunteer Ideas in Virtual Times
All high school students are encouraged to continue to accumulate community involvement hours this year, provided they meet Lambton Public Health Safety recommendations. Below are some ideas to help spark your creativity and develop your leadership skills.
Students are encouraged to think about creative ways to support the community that do not put themselves or others at risk. This may include volunteer activities that can be completed at home or online. Some examples of possible activities are:
- A letter-writing campaign to seniors living in a nursing or retirement home;
- Delivering groceries to elderly/immunocompromised neighbours or family members who do not want to go to busy grocery stores;
- Sewing masks to donate to social agencies;
- Virtual tutoring to help students practice reading, communication, math and/or other skills
LEADS Employment Services is offering a Youth Leadership Development Program who works with clients who need varying levels of assistance developing skills and accessing volunteer and employment opportunities. Youth can expect the following from participation in the program:
- Skills and confidence that will assist in obtaining employment in the future
- Finish required high school service hours
- Meet other young adults with similar hobbies and interests
- Develop goals and plans for the future
- Leave program with professional references /networks and resume
- Leave program with optional training such as First Aid & CPR, Smart Serve, Safe Food Handling, etc.
Please see here for contact information and further details.
Sarnia-Lambton Youth Advisory Board
Sarnia-Lambton MP, Marilyn Gladu, is starting a non-partisan Youth Advisory board for students between the ages of 15-19 to share their input on federal issues. The one year term position would begin on November 17, 2020. All youth who wish to apply are asked to forward their contact information and age to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 2, 2020. Please see here for more information.