The purpose of the Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2001 (ODA) is to improve opportunities for people with disabilities and to provide for their involvement in the identification, removal and prevention of barriers and to promote their full participation in the life of the province. To this end, the ODA requires each school board to prepare an annual accessibility plan; to consult with people with disabilities in the preparation of this plan and to make the plan public.
The Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (the “AODA”) is a Provincial Act with the purpose of developing, implementing and enforcing accessibility standards to make the Province accessible for all people with disabilities by 2025. Ontario’s first accessibility standard under the AODA, the Accessible Customer Service Standard, became law in January 2008, and the Integrated Accessibility Standards Regulation (IASR) which covers Employment, Information and Communication and Transportation was released in June 2011. An amendment to the IASR was released by the Province in December 2012 to include the Accessibility Standard for the Design of Public Spaces. One of the requirements of the IASR is to develop, implement and maintain a multi-year accessibility plan to outline strategies to prevent and remove barriers and meet the requirements of the IASR.
Commitment to Accessibility Planning
The Director of Education has authorized the Accessibility Working Group to prepare an accessibility plan that will enable the St. Clair Catholic District School Board to meet these commitments. The St. Clair Catholic District School Board is committed to:
- Establishing an Accessibility Working Group;
- Consulting with people with disabilities in the development and review of its annual accessibility plans;
- Consulting with community partners;
- Ensuring school board policies and procedures are consistent with the principles of accessibility; and
- Improving access to facilities, policies, programs, practices and services for students, staff, parents/guardians, volunteers and members of the community.
Click here to view the St. Clair Catholic District School Board's current Accessibility Plan. Click here to view the current IASR Accessibility Plan.
- Deb Crawford, Superintendent of Education
- Julie Knight, (Chair) Principal
- Liz Bujaki, Principal
- Lisa Burden, Safety and Disability Administrator
- Sherrie Daudlin, Principal
- Catherine Day, Manager - Financial Services
- Tony Montanino, Manager - Facilities Services
- Christine Preece, Mental Health and Wellbeing Lead
- Sara Vadovic, Consultant - Program Resource
- Kelly VanBoxtel, Principal
Related Board Policies
What are your thoughts about accessibility at the St. Clair Catholic District School Board? Click here to tell us.