St. Clair Catholic District School Board currently offers a successful French Immersion program in several of our schools for students from Junior Kindergarten through Grade 12. We believe students enrolled in this program not only acquire strong language skills in Canada’s two official languages, but also receive a rich academic foundation formed in an affirming Catholic faith community.
Research has shown that children who begin to study a second language at an early age develop strong skills in both languages and perform as well or better than students enrolled in English programs.
The French Immersion Full Day Kindergarten program has the same general goals as an English Kindergarten program: the balanced development of multiple dimensions (spiritual, cultural, intellectual, emotional, physical, social and aesthetic) with the added goal of introducing children to the French language in a natural way. This introduction to French is an important step in the process of developing language comprehension sufficient for the immersion student to learn to read in French and learn subject content.
French Immersion Kindergarten programs will:
- use French words supported by the use of pictures and objects
- use French books, videos, music and games
- have French speaking teachers, speaking in French in increasing amounts supported by the use of gestures, mime, intonation, pictures and objects to convey meaning
- support students by encouraging the use of French through activities, songs, and play
- emphasize listening skills to stimulate language acquisition
- incorporate French culture through authentic activities
Read more ...